Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

David Bell and Quella from Ohio recover a nice buck with almost no blood to follow

David Bell from Ohio shared his latest track with us in this e-mail written on December 2. Congratulations David and thank you for giving your pup opportunities to work. Quella is just over 6 months old and she is a daughter of Joeri and Keena.

I got a call this morning from one of my wife's friend's husband whom I met a few times. He needed help with the deer he shot with his muzzleloader. I haven't had a call since the last monster I found on the 20th of November and I was eager to set my pup down. I asked him on the phone interview if he found blood after asking him a ton of questions about the shot and the reaction of the deer. It sounded promising since he said that he shot the buck with his muzzleloader with a scope from 15 yards away.

When I got to the hit site I noticed right away there wasn't any blood, but he reassured me that his muzzleloader was on. As it turned out he didn't look for any blood and he just pulled out since he thought it might have been a bit high and far back. This call was around 8 hours old and I set Quella down anyway at the hit site and off she went pulling hard with her head on the ground working hard. It was 33 percent humidity and very cold. I asked the hunter after the first 100 yards if he even hit the deer because I wasn't finding any blood at all and started to get worried, but I followed Quella anyways because when I asked her if she was right, her reaction of pulling on told me that she was.

Shortly after she took me up a little hill where I found some blood. I shouted out to the hunter to follow me and mark it with the orange tape from my pack. Quella took me another 200 yards with a few blood drops every 30 or 40 yards or so and started to head to a creek after making a 90 degree turn. She started to look for a place to cross. Quella took me down to a low spot in the creek, and the hunter's buddy who came to watch this wonder dog at work noticed the deer on the other side up against a log. I picked her up and across the creek we went to the find.


Quella with Brian the hunter and the deer she helped recover.

No comments: