Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

First groundhog

Teddy Moritz writes about her first woodchuck of the season taken with her longhaired minis. Thank you Teddy for sharing and congratulations on a precocious puppy!

Garmin (Navarre x Sandy) just turned ten months. I took her out with an experienced dachshund today and after they ran a rabbit Garmin found and bayed a groundhog. It dug away from her in buried rocks and very loose soil. I dug a few holes but couldn't find the varmint. Garmin eventually came out and checked the other holes but there wasn't any scent. Then she went about six feet away and marked a hole under the thick roots of a shrub. I opened the hole for her, she dropped in and began barking. I found the tunnel about three feet ahead of her and opened it and put Bane in. He grabbed the groundhog by the tail and it scooted back toward Garmin and buried itself. I let Bane dig and Garmin work for a bit. Then Bane dug enough to get to the groundhog and it charged Garmin, who yelped and backed up. I don't think she knew they bite. I took her out and Bane pushed the groundhog to the lurcher. Nice work by a ten month old pup. Even though the photo was taken with an open field behind me, I was actually working on hands and knees in a very thick hedgerow.



And few days ago we received from Teddy a picture showing her dogs exploring the lake shore.

Here are Cruiser and Garmin exploring the lake shore on a pretty May morning. Lurcher in the background is listening to a deer snorting at him. Took the pups and went the other way so they didn't chase the deer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work and good times!
Justin

Stan said...

Nice work and great story, Teddy--CONGRATS!

Unknown said...

I kinda wish we had ground hogs here in the south, looks like a lot a fun. I know Axel would enjoy it.