Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

NY Leashed Tracking Dog License: DEC schedules exam for August 24

If you would like to use a tracking dog to recover a wounded big game in New York State, you have to get a license issued by New York Department of Environmental Conservation. To get a license  you must pass an exam. This year DEC scheduled the exam for August 24. You need to register for the exam by August 17.

From press release:

The examination for individuals interested in obtaining a license to use leashed tracking dogs to find wounded or injured big game animals is scheduled for Friday, August 24, 2012 from 10:00 a.m. until noon at designated New York State Department of Environmental Conservation regional offices across the state, the agency announced today. The list of Regional Offices can be found on the DEC's website.

The deadline for registering to take the exam is August 17. A score of 80 percent or higher on the written exam and a valid New York State Big Game hunting license are mandatory requirements for receiving a license. There is a $50 license fee, and a $25 non-refundable processing fee associated with the license, which expires five years from the date of issuance.

More information regarding the leashed tracking dog license can be found on the DEC's website.

To apply for the leashed tracking dog exam, contact DEC's Special Licenses Unit by calling 518-402-8985 or by writing to:

Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-4752
Email: or
Visit the DEC website

No comments: