Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blood tracking training tip #3

Mike asked this question:

I would like to track multiple species. Can I do this with one dog? Do I need blood for all the species I want to track - deer, wild hog, elk, bear, etc...


John's answer:

I have trained dogs to track wounded deer and found that there was no big problem when I presented them with their first bear line. They knew it was something different, and they gave me some funny looks as they started. I have heard of dogs refusing to track bear, but I never had this experience personally. I know that elk are no problem.

In Europe dogs are trained on deer blood and deer feet. Later they track wild boars without any problem.


Elton von Moosbach-Zuzelek is used for tracking wounded elk and deer.

No comments: