Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Waiting for puppies - Keena is going to whelp today

I think that Keena is going to whelp today. We bred her to FC Joeri vom Nonnenschlag on March 22, and it looks like she is going to have quite a few puppies. She looks big, and if I were to speculate, I'd say that she probably carries 7 or 8 puppies. All signs show that she is going to whelp today or tonight.

Keena four days ago


She spent yesterday in her bed next to the whelping box.

Last night she threw up several times. Today she is staying in the whelping box, not eating and is breathing heavily. She wants me to be near by. These are all the classical signs that she is the first stage of labor. This is when her cervix is thinning and opening, and the whole process may last up to 24 hours. We hope for safe delivery and healthy puppies!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Good luck Keena.
I can't wait to see some beautiful puppies!

Stan said...

Hope all is well...I know you will keep us posted!

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Thanks Liz and Stan! Everything is going very well. Keena had her first puppy this morning at 6:30 am. It is 10:40 am now and so far we have 8 pups - 4 girls, 4 boys. I am not sure whether she is done yet. We'll post when the whelping is over.