Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blood tracker's lettuce

posted by John

It won’t be long before we are tracking deer again. The old legs and the old eyes are good for at least one more year. I want to share with you a secret I’ve learned for keeping my aged vision sharp. It helps me see those occasional drops of blood that verify my tracking dog’s work. I call it “blood tracker’s lettuce” and we use it in our salads during the summer. As you eat this salad, with its dull red spots, your eyes naturally become attuned to spotting the same thing on the leaves of the forest floor. Sometimes the lettuce seems to develop a funny taste, but the benefit to your eyes makes it all worthwhile.

If you want to try it, “blood tracker lettuce” can be purchased under the name of Forellenschluss lettuce at http://www.cooksgarden.com/.

No comments: