Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tuesday von Moosbach-Zuzelek is a Field Champion now

I am running way behind in reporting all the blood tracking activities that you readers have sent me news about, and I hope to catch up this week. On Friday I drove to field trials given by the Western Pennsylvania Dachshund Club at the Hilltop Beagle Club in Cowansville, PA. It was a last minute decision. I got back from the field trial last evening.

It is a long drive there, around 8 hours, but it was worth it. I have never been to the grounds before and did not know what to expect. As it turned out the grounds were really good, with nice cover and a right number of rabbits, not too few and not too many. The beagle club has both types of beaglers, brace and SPO, and it seems thriving. A lot of beaglers showed up to cook three meals a day, beat brush and some were judging too. I loved the whole experience!

On Saturday I ran our Tuesday in the Open Stake and she placed first. Then she won her runs for the Best of Open and Absolute winner. I was really pleased with her performance. She has always had enormous hunting drive but had no concept of recall as a pup. A year ago she flunked the NATC Small Game Hunter test as I was not bale to pick her up in the field and a good recall is part of that test.

Well, I am happy to report that her recall and field obedience got much better due to some serious work in the field. She ran several times on Saturday and came back to me every time. Good girl Tuesday!



5 comments:

Lindsjö taxar said...

Congrats to the Championship!
FIeld champion is that what I work with our dogs?
Not tracking? We let our dog go for roes. THey have to hunt them 2 x 45 minutes or 1 x 60 min. THey judge 10 different qualifications such as tracking, Barking, co operation, hunting skill and more...
Ayla need one trial more, she has 2 first price and we need 3, then she is a champion

Teddy said...

Congratulations to you and Tuesday. That obedience training obviously helped with recall.

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Majron, in the USA dachshunds can get a title of Field Champion when they are run on cottontail rabbits in braces (pairs) A dog has to have three placements, one 1st place and 35 points. A good explanation is given at http://dfwdachshund.com/?page_id=607

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Thanks Teddy. We did not do obedience training the way it is done indoors in a classroom. But she was worked in the field on rabbits with a release cord and quickly understood that when she gets back she is put on another rabbit. A gentle use of e-collar at the beginning helped too.

Teddy said...

The e-collar was what I meant by obedience training. ;-)Magic.