Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Being in the woods is a good therapy

A big thank you to all for your support, encouragement and offer to help with Joeri. Yesterday he was worse than on Thursday, his hind legs completely immobile, his bladder had to be expressed. So far he has not responded to the meds: high dose of prednisone, tramadol, methocarbamol, pepcid. But his tail is still wagging. He has an appointment on Wednesday for acupuncture. We are going to give him some time and see what happens. Today he has a better appetite and his eyes look brighter. He is a hunting dog through and through, and for him to spend the rest of life paralyzed, in a cart, is just not an option. 

Today we were in the woods and it has helped both of us. John was tracking and I was hunting. John found his buck, and I shot a doe. All in all today was a better day than Friday.

Tommy found this nice 8-pointer in Cairo, NY

John was prouder of me than I was. While he was tracking in Cairo, I was hunting. I actually managed to stalk this doe, so now we will have some venison for the freezer.

3 comments:

Teddy said...

Glad to hear the balm of the woods helped...it almost always does. Welcome back.

Samantha said...

Congrats on your doe and Tommy's find! I agree there is no better therapy than being in the woods. I am very sorry to hear about Joeri. I am sure you and John both will do what is best for him and only the both of you know what that will be. I wish the best for him!!

Lindsjö taxar said...

Sorry to hear about JOeri....I thought he was better...
Congrats to the doe, I didn´t know that you go hunting. You cant hunt roe like we do with the dogs??
Tyra is not well after her trial in Norway. Always exhausted one day after but now its a week. SHes eating but only want to lay in her basket. Tomorrow we will go to the vet.
We have a hunting trial on Friday but I wont start Tyra, I can let Ayla start intstead...shes not ready but I will try