Search This Blog

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dita's great recovery


I got this e-mail from Steve Kremp who owns Dita, a three-year-old daughter of Alfi and Elli.

Hi Jolanta,
I wanted to pass along a great success story for Dita. A friend of mine was in from Massachusetts to bowhunt the bountiful deer herd that we have in the suburbs. We put him in a stand at a retirement village that asked for help with their deer overpopulation problem. He shot five does in the last fifteen minutes of shooting light. Four were recovered quickly, but after almost two hours of searching, he and another friend were unable to make any progress on the fifth.

He thought he made a good hit, but it was high, and he was unsure about an exit. Dita and I returned with them at first light. With five different trails, Dita was quite excited, and followed one to a ditch where one of the others had dropped. My friend suspected that the unrecovered deer traveled beyond the ditch, and Dita showed great interest in that direction, beyond the last blood from the first deer. She led us, quite deliberately, down to a stream, and around a fence. Despite our belief that the deer would be found in the thicket along the stream bank, Dita checked hard to the left, and led me closer to the road, and the neighboring backyards. My friend continued to look in the thicket, but Dita led me straight to the doe, which expired less than ten yards from the road. We had covered close to three hundred yards, with no visible blood.

The foxes had gotten to it overnight, but my friend was ecstatic at having bagged five deer with a bow in one sitting, and was very impressed with the way Dita bee lined straight to the deer. Needless to say, I was extremely proud of Dita’s excellent work!

Wish I had a better camera, but here is a picture from my phone.
Steve

No comments: