Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tracking with a Lab in Missouri

John received this super nice e-mail from Vince Crawford. Thank you Vince for writing!
 
John,
I wanted to leave you this message and thank you SO much for writing your blood tracking books (your dog book and Dead On). Both my pup and I have really enjoyed them. 
 
Here in Missouri, we are dealing with drought conditions, and it has made for some tough tracking! We made out first call today where we went to help someone we did not know. I am a Conservation Agent in Missouri and Hunting Incident Investigator by trade, so using my learned investigative skills teamed up with your book's suggestions really prepared me well for asking the right questions of the hunter. 
 
My 11 month old lab, Goose made pretty short work of the track job. I could not be happier for her! She is 4 for 6 this year, and I am not convinced the two she did not find died within a reasonable time frame, or at all.
 
Here is a picture of Goose with her new friend Matt, the hunter. He had a one lung and liver shot as was expected by the sign we found on the trail and the arrow. This was a 24 hour old trail.
 
I can't believe how much fun Goose and I are having tracking John. I really wonder how this will all change my own archery deer hunting in the next couple years.
 
Again, thank you very much for sharing your experiences with others through your books.

Eleven-month-old Lab Goose with the beautiful buck she recovered for Matt

6 comments:

Unknown said...

good dog. nice shoot also, why did you wait 24hours? How far did the beautiful buck go?

Vince Crawford said...

The shot was quartering towards. That is the entrance hole in the photo. The deer went about 300-350 yards. The entire farm is covered in chest-high brush. I was called after they had searched for the deer for the day with no success.

Anonymous said...

DO you help locate deer in Clay County, MO. My brother in law shot one 6 days ago(12-21-11) and after 2 unsuccessful walks, we have given up. Found blood up to 300 yards away. Is it to late to search?

Anonymous said...

Just left you a message. email me Jim at: deerfearjo@yahoo.com

He shot buck with bow. found arrow about 30 yards away and 10 inches is missing. deep shoulder shot. Found where deer layed down 3 times.

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Since you asked on Deceber 27 about the shot made on Dec 21 - yes, it is too late to search.

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

See
http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/index.php?option=com_tracker&view=trackers&st=mo