Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Blood tracking reports

Bill Siegrist from Deer Search wrote on November 23:

Jake had a good find today. This morning at 8:00am we took a 25 hour old line. The hunter didn't know where he hit the buck but lost a sparse blood trail after 150 yards. Jake took us another 200 yards finding a few more spots of blood pretty much in a straight line. At the last blood he worked the area for a half hour. I had to start him over at the last blood 4 or 5 times. Finally he (Jake) made a sharp right turn and took me down a very steep slope for about 150 to 200 yards into a swamp. Jake got into the 6"' to 8" water and we found the deer 75 feet away. The last 150 to 200 yards were without blood. It was a nice 7 point buck. The wound was a low gut shot.

This is probably Jake's last tracking season. Sadly he has been diagnosed with mouth cancer. His registered name is Drake v Moosbach-Zuzelek and his parents were Alfi and Vamba.
-----
Susanne Hamilton from Maine wrote on November 26.

We just did a 2 mile track on a high leg shot doe. I saw the bone and white hair at the hit site and decided to push it. I told the hunter that it could be a long track, to take some cloths off (he had looked like a michellin man) Also asked him to keep his rifle in the car as it is against the law for anyone but guides and trackers to carry firearms after dark.

I thought that we would most likely push this deer quite a way and that we would most likely find it still alive. I brought my 357 mag, and after a 2 mile track with very little blood the first 400 yards, the doe started to open up more. Although I kept Buster on a pretty short lead  because I didn't want him to get stepped on like the last leg shot deer, he suddenly had latched on to one of the doe's hind legs.

I pulled my dog off, handed him to the hunter (with a stern warning not to let go) and shot her in the neck and put her out of her misery quickly. It took over an hour to drag her out of the woods, but I had a very happy hunter.

PS sorry no pic... cell phone which I usually take pics with ran out of battery.
-----


Joe Walters from Indiana wrote:
 
This was a 24 hour old track on a gut shot buck. The hunter tracked it for maybe 1/2 mile and then Doc and I started there and took the track another 1/2 mile where Doc got on healthy deer for a stretch. I took him back to last blood and we found the buck about 50 yards from there. Hunter was jumping up and down and wanting to kiss Doc. Biggest buck he has ever shot.


No comments: