Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dachshunds on the rocks

by Andy Bensing

There are many more things to developing a great blood tracking dog than just the dog's ability to follow a blood line. One of those things is the dog's comfort in any environment. I had my seven-month-old Atlee out the other day for a walk in the woods, and I discovered that he had a little trouble psychologically with some large rocks. I climbed up and over some boulders on the way out of the woods Atlee seemed a little hesitant to climb up on them to follow me. He eventually did but he was not comfortable. With that in mind, it was a beautiful afternoon here today in Pennsylvania so off to the rockiest place I knew to get Atlee comfortable climbing on big rocks. I took my other young dachshund, six-month-old Buddy, along too. Buddy is as sure footed as a mountain goat so I figured he would help motivate Atlee as well.


Dachshunds on the Rocks from Andy Bensing on Vimeo.


Dachshunds on the Rocks- Cliff Climbing from Andy Bensing on Vimeo.

Teddy Moritz added a comment with a picture:

I agree that pups should experience many surfaces while they are young. Makes them more assured as adults when hunting. You know where I live so rocks and logs and hills and streams are constant challenges to my pups. I think scenting a live animal and blood tracking are the real 'variable surface tracking' tests. My dogs have to track a rabbit anywhere it goes...water, asphalt, rocks, woods, etc., just like a blood tracking dog. Balancing on rocks, climbing over them and going under them give a pup confidence and they learn to use their bodies.
Here's Garmin at four months learning to negotiate a rock pile where the rabbit ran.

1 comment:

jardiniere28 said...

I have always been of the opinion that dogs teach each other by example. I let the older dogs train the young 'uns. It works on surfaces, food, terrain, etc.