Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Getting closer to Karl. A wirehaired dachshund's portrait.

While John and Darren are in Ontario giving a blood tracking workshop, Karl is staying here. I could not help myself and had to take some pictures of him. As it turned out he is a very cooperative dog, and we both had fun. Even though I love black and white photography I have not done it in years. I tried to work with one of Karl's portraits and thought that I actually like the b&w version better than the color one. What do you think? Click on the images to see a larger version.



5 comments:

Stan said...

B&W seems to command attention, for some reason. In a way, when you look into the eyes of a B&W portrait, they appear to show more depth, like you are getting a better glimpse into the soul of the subject. The shadowing and contrast can make a pic more interesting, I believe. The allure could also be due, at least in part, to the fact that we just don't see B&W very often anymore, which makes it more intriguing.
So, yes, I like the B&W one better.

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Stan,
Thank you for very good points! Sometimes background color can be distracting as it is for me in the color version of Karl's portrait.

Brady said...

I like the B&W version myself, good contrast and less distracting.
I hadn't realized until seeing the B&W version how much Karl's eyes actually remind me of Darren. Crazy how that happens.

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Brady,
I think you are right about Karl and Darren's eyes!

Stan said...

I don't know about the eyes, but in general, Karl is much more handsome than Darren!