Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Introducing our new puppy - Bella von Tierspur

On the weekend Bella was introduced to her new canine family, and she has done very well with them. He behavior is very appropriate - she is somewhat cautious and waits for the invitation to play. She submits to our dogs very easily. She is not "in their face" the way Tommy was (and still is). They like her a lot and accepted her without hesitation.

What is pretty amazing about her that at 9 weeks she sleeps through the night in a crate. She does not need to go out during the night, and she does not object to being in the crate. Beth and Genti have done a tremendous job raising her.

Is she a perfect puppy? No, she is not. She has some conformation weaknesses, which we hope will improve with age. I am a perfectionist by nature, but I think it was Voltaire who said that  “The perfect is the enemy of the good.” On Saturday night I took Bella to Suzanne Clothier, and we analyzed a "large picture" so to speak. The short visit helped me put things in perspective and arrive at the final decision.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy pictures of her. As always click on the image to view a larger version.

Bella meets Keena and submits to her right away.

Keena is inviting Bella to play.

Bella nose to nose with Billy.

Bella is inviting Gilda to play.

A nine-year-old Gilda and a nine-week-old Bella are related. Gilda is Sabina's daughter while Bella is Sabina's great granddaughter.

Gilda is putting Tommy in his place while Bella is reassuring her that she is a good girl.

Bella and her dad Tommy

All is well - everybody is relaxed.
 
I think that Tommy is going to be Bella's playmate.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Congrats on the new addition!! She is so pretty, I would absolutley love to be surrounded by that many dachshunds! I have one now but I plan on others as soon as I feel her training is at a stable level to add an additional tracker. She just turned 7 months today - I have you and John to thank for my interest in using dachshunds as a tracking companion. Your books made my decision very easy and boy what good friends they make too.

Jolanta Jeanneney said...

Thank you Samantha! I would wait with adding new dogs as yours is still very young. There is absolutely nothing like a super strong bond with your only dog and the one on one interaction. When you have multiple dogs you have to work much harder to maintain this bond with individual dogs.

Beth said...

Great photos as always Jolanta! It is really great to see all the other dogs interacting with Bella. I am glad that she is transitioning so well and being welcomed by all.

We look forward to her progress!

Stan said...

Cool--what a cutie. Didn't realize you were getting a pup--CONGRATS!

Claire said...

You know Jolanta, you are so right. Sometimes I wish I just had only one dog so I could have that bond again. There is nothing like it. The more dogs, the less time and less really deep bonding.